After getting ill at a deli, Patrick Quade discovered nobody wanted to know. When he called up the deli to report the incident, they said they were not to blame and hung up on him, reports National Public Radio.
Quade had no website coding experience and no background in food safety, but shortly after that incident, he founded iwaspoisoned.com, a crowdsourcing website where individuals can report food-poisoning incidents, public health officials can receive instant local alerts, and the food industry can be apprised of outbreaks early on.
Today, Quade works on his site full time, boasting over 1.7 million page views and more than 75,000 reports from 90 countries and 46 U.S. states since the site’s inception. In addition, 20,000 consumers and 350 health agencies subscribe to the site’s daily alert service; custom alerts are available for state department agencies.
For the full story, go here.